At Holy Trinity we're using the Mastery: Small step approach to the learning and teaching of Mathematics.
White Rose Maths: Teaching maths for mastery is a transformational approach to maths teaching using CPA (Concrete, Pictorial, Abstract) When taught to master maths, children develop their mathematical fluency without resorting to rote learning and are able to solve non-routine maths problems without having to memorise procedures.
NEED TO KNOW
- Evidence-based approach to teaching maths
- Helps pupils develop a deep, long-term and adaptable understanding of maths
- Inclusive approach where all children achieve
- Slower pace which results in greater progress
- Reflected in the 2014 English national curriculum for mathematics
- Endorsed by the Department for Education, NCETM and OFSTED
See the link below for more information on the White Rose approach to Mathematics: