Schools receive Sport Premium funding based on the number of pupils in Years 1 to 6.
Schools are required to use this funding to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of Physical Education (PE) on offer.
5 key expected indicators of improvement from use of the funding are:
- The engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity - the Chief Medical Officer guidelines recommend that all children and young people aged 5 to 18 engage in at least 60 minutes of physical activity a day, of which 30 minutes should be in school
- The profile of PE and sport is raised across the school as a tool for whole-school improvement
- Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- Broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
- Increased participation in competitive sport