Schools receive Physical Education and Sport Premium funding based on the number of pupils in years 1 to 6. This is determined by how many pupils in the school attract the funding using data from the January school census.
Schools are required to use the funding to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of PE and sport on offer. There are 5 key indicators that all schools should expect to see improvement across:
- the engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity - the Chief Medical Officer guidelines recommend that all children and young people aged 5 to 18 engage in at least 60 minutes of physical activity a day, of which 30 minutes should be in school
- the profile of PE and sport is raised across the school as a tool for whole-school improvement
- increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
- increased participation in competitive sport